Monday, October 5, 2009

Pumpkins, Pumpkin Muffins and a World Famous Foodie Speaking Tour





It is October, which means PUMPKINS!! One of my best memories as a young child was visiting the pumpkin patch. Back then, it was about painting the pumpkins, with very little carving. This is my first carved pumpkin of the season. I am about to expose the one trick that will make you a Master Pumpkin Carver, patience. Pumpkin carving takes time, and a lot of it.





My pantry is stocked with cans of pumpkin and I am ready for the pumpkin season. This weekend I made pumpkin muffins with strudel topping for my nieces and nephews. There is one thing that I have learned about muffins and kids, they love the strudel topping. This batch of pumpkin muffins comes with a double batch of strudel topping.

Gin's Pumpkin Pie Muffins with Rich Strudel Topping
1-2/3 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
1 cup plain pumpkin
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips


Strudel Topping
1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp. flour
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 tbsp. melted butter


(1)Heat oven to 350. (2) In medium bowl mix flour, sugar, pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. (3) In another bowl mix eggs, pumpkin and butter. Whisk until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. (4) Pour over dry ingredients and fold in. Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups half way full. (5) Top with Strudel topping and bake 20 to 25 minutes. When muffins come out of the oven gently push a pumpkin candy in muffin top. (6) Let cool slightly before serving. (7) ENJOY!


It is hard to believe that fall is here and the holidays are right around the corner. The saying "Time Flies" is losing it's meaning with me. I blink and it is months later! This brings me to my absence from food blogging. I would like to say that I have been on a world famous food blogging speaking tour, or that I have been working on a cookbook that is already on the best seller list. The truth of course is a little more boring, but equally important, I have been a mother. As some of you might know my son was diagnosed with Mono last November. He came home from college for the summer and I spent the last months nursing him back to health. I am happy to report that he is much better and back to the University of South Florida to start his junior year in college.


Happy Fall everybody!!

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad your son is better. No matter how old they are, we worry especially when they're dealing with mono. Your muffins look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo styling! I had mono twice when I was in high school, and it takes it toll on you! Great mom you are, and I will say what my doctor said to my mom that fateful day..."That is the kissing disease"! LOL, but only I knew I had not been kissed! Yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love pumpkin recipes too! Yummy looking muffins. Glad your son is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about your son~what a worry in the meantime. I am glad he is doing well and is back in school.

    Love just about pumpkin anything, grins. These muffins look so appealing and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh those muffins look amazing! and i'm totally blown away by the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look super yummy, will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear that your son is feeling better and is happily tucked away at college ;) And I'm even happier that you are back!!! These sound amazing...I must make some this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore pummpkin recipes also.. I am so bookmarking this they sound outstanding. Glad youre back around..missed ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pumpkin carving skillz are fab! I agree, patience is the key. And those muffins?! Excellent! I'd love to give them a try...or just steal one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What yummy muffins! I just found canned pumpkin at the store and can't wait to start baking with it!

    Glad your son is better, I had mono in college too and it was horrible, but at least I can blame it for my low grade in organic chem :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those muffins look delicious! I love anything pumpkin - just made up a batch of pumpkin pie cream cheese for bagels - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am so happy to see you that I'm just about to burst! :D

    I love anything and everything pumpkin! These look so good with the chocolate chips added in!

    I'm so glad your son is better! You are a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm pumpkin muffins with streusel topping!

    ReplyDelete