Tuesday, October 6, 2009

POM Wonderful, Jalapeno Peppers and the University of South Florida

(This blog post is brought to you by POM Wonderful and yours truly, ME!)




Yesterday afternoon my phone rang and it was my Mother, "Gin, what the heck is going on at the University of South Florida?"

Usually, I would know because I am a news hound. If I am at home, I have the news on. Lately, I have tried to modify from that practice because I was either aggravated by politics or feeling bad at a sad story that I had just heard. So, I have been listening to music.

"I have no clue," I told my Mother. "Well, you better turn the news on and find out?" Which I did immediately.

Sure enough there was breaking news pertaining to the University of South Florida. There was a lock down, mayhem, arrests, a bomb squad, helicopters, and a cowboy allegedly carrying a black puppy along with a large hunting knife. Seriously, my best friend is an awesome published romance author, Cathy Liggett , and I am pretty sure not even her creative imagination could make this up!

I knew that my son was in class so I sent him a text and asked what was going on? He said that he was dodging bullets, which was his attempt at a joke. I have to say that he got his sense of humor from his father, not me. I am happy that he is on his way to feeling better and back to his normal self. All I could do is chuckle. I am over 800 miles away and my son is learning life lessons that I could have never taught him.

Up until he got Mono, he like most young adults, felt like he was invincible. Shortly after we got him back to school in August, we got a phone call from him saying that his car had been stolen. Long story short, his car is gone forever and in Tampa they don't even send a police officer to take the report, they do it over the phone! Now in the middle of campus mayhem, 800 miles away, I had to take some deep breaths. You send your babies out in the world and hope for the best. You realize that they are young adults experiencing their own life lessons, lessons that will undoubtedly have a big impact on their lives. As a Mother, you hope for the best and if your a foodie you head for the kitchen. Cooking, creating and baking are most definitely stress relievers for me.

This brings me to POM Wonderful, jalapeno peppers and one awesome tasting-barbecue sauce recipe. The people from POM Wonderful were kind enough to send me a case of 100% Pure Pomegranate Juice. I really can't say enough about their Pomegranate Juice. The fresh tart taste and proven health benefits make it a drink sensation. Once you realize it's versatility in cooking and baking, then your only problem is that you won't have enough! As far as the jalapeno peppers, that was the only thing in my garden that could stand up to my inattentiveness. So, I have a bountiful crop of peppers just waiting to be used.








Gin's Spicy Barbecue Sauce




1 cup whiskey


1 cup POM Wonderful juice


2 bottles of your favorite barbecue sauce


10 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped


4 tablespoons cayenne pepper (you read that right!!)


1 cup honey




(1) Get a saucepan and put on high heat. Pour whiskey and POM Wonderful juice in hot sauce pan and reduce by half. (2) Add barbecue sauce, jalapeno peppers, cayenne pepper, and cup of honey. (3) Simmer at low heat for approximately one hour, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick and fragrant. (4) ENJOY!



I am going to suggest that you don't deviate from this tried and true recipe. Yes, it is spicy (actually right down habanero hot) but it's like nothing that you have ever tasted. It is thick, rich, sweet, and fresh all bottled up in one terrific tasting multi-purpose sauce.

Serving suggestions are as follows: chicken wings, mixed with oil and vinegar for a unique marinade, spread on sandwiches, brushed on grilled meat, as a dipping sauce for pretzel sticks, and so on. . . . .

I would like to say how happy I am with the way that the University of South Florida handled the mayhem on campus yesterday. I feel that my son is completely safe and that the administration is incredible at keeping it that way. When the lock down was over my son headed to the grocery to get a "Butworst to put in the crockpot to make sandwiches." (CHUCKLE)


I said, "You mean a pork butt?" "Yes, that," he proudly said. (CHUCKLE AGAIN)


Have a great day everybody!!


9 comments:

  1. SCAREY!!!! Seriously, this world is scarey sometimes...glad you're baby is okay :D And can I just say OOOOOOHHHHHH My! This is my kinda bbq sauce...it sounds amazing!! I'm definitely going to make some...once I get some more POM :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your son is OK. I love the peppers in your barbecue sauce. It sounds really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what is the world coming to. What is with all these people threatening bodily harm! I am glad your son is safe and well!

    A cup of whiskey, oh my!! Does sound good though. Love POM Wonderful and have some in my fridge. Perhaps a trip to the liquor store is in order, grins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, glad to hear he is safe...I just got my POM coffee and some new juice to try, and I am with Katy...maybe I could make you a martini to take the edge off of your day :)

    Love the BBQ recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whiskey and jalapenos and pomegranate in barbecue sauce? Yes please!
    My aunt has a secret recipe for baked beans... all we know is that it involves pomegranate juice... I wonder if this tastes like hers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that your son is doing alright. I can't even imagine the day that I send my babies "out into the world". Thankfully I have some time.

    This sauce looks divine. I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sauce looks like an amazing creation, and I'm so relieved that your son is OK. Thank God.

    *I have adapted the same morning routine for the very same reasons you listed. The morning news brings me down, or raises my blood pressure. I read the headlines online, and if something piques my interest I'll click to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness your son is safe. My heart was racing, I cant imagine how you felt.

    This sauce , holy lord, does it ever sound so so so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL... You don't want to hear about my college Sophomore year... Will tell you all after your son graduates (you will sleep better).

    I just got word that I am going to win the POM lottery this week and get some freebies. I am planning on making BBQ sauce as well. Yours sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete