Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gin Versus Magic Mayonnaise AND the winner is. . . .





With it getting to be that time of the year (HOLIDAYS!!) my freezer is slowly filling up with home baked cookies for my holiday treat trays.



I know what you are thinking; "Gin if you are blogging about holiday cookies, why am I looking at a veggie tray?"



Yesterday started out innocently enough as I was looking for some new holiday cookie recipes. If you are like me, you have 100's of those recipe booklets that are right by the check out at the grocery store.



In my many stacks of these recipe booklets, I came across this one and started to browse through it.







This is where the trouble starts!! Right dab smack in the middle of this booklet is a recipe for Magic Mayonnaise. I was intrigued to say the least. Magic Mayonnaise is one of those recipes where you would hope that one of your fellow food bloggers would try first, but seeing that I can't imagine anybody making mayonnaise from Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, I pressed forward.


Lucky for me, right there on the center shelf of my pantry were all the ingredients for this unique concoction.


Magic Mayonnaise


2/3 cup Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk


1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice (I used apple cider vinegar)


1/4 salad oil or melted butter (I used canola oil)


2 tablespoons refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed (I used refrigerated)


1 teaspoon dry mustard


1/2 salt


Dash cayenne pepper


The directions were as followed:


Place ingredients in a pint jar. Cover tightly, then shake vigorously for 2 minutes. If desired, ingredients may be place in a mixing bowl and beat with a rotary blender until mixture thickens. For a thicker consistency, chill for 1 hour before serving.


I went ahead and doubled this recipe because 2/3 cup of Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk is approximately 1/2 of the can. What the heck was I going to do with the other half?

To say Magic Mayonnaise in incredible just would not cover how good it is! It is sweet and savory with a kick of taste from the vinegar. To be down right honest, it is frightfully addicting! It is one of those things that you just can't stop eating, trust me!


I took my Magic Mayonnaise and made a veggie dip. I mixed half of the Magic Mayonnaise with one packet of ranch dressing, 1 8-ounce carton light sour cream (figured I should save the calories where I could,) 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, two green onions that were finely chopped, and garlic pepper to taste. It was YUM and like no other veggie dip you have ever had before!


I over ate Magic Mayonnaise yesterday and that is all I can say about that. When I do that, I TRY and make up for it by adding an extra mile to my daily runs. So, why are my shoes sitting on the computer room floor?





It is POURING RAIN :-( Even after an entire 24 hours of my Magic Mayonnaise eat fest, I still feel it in the bottom of my stomach! YUCK!! Now, am I saying YUCK to the Magic Mayonnaise? NO! I am saying YUCK to how much magic mayonnaise I ate!

In the words of a friend and fellow food blogger Sherri from Everything in Moderation ; moderation is exactly how I am going to eat Magic Mayonnaise from here on out.

Have a great day!

PS The Magic Mayonnaise WON!

16 comments:

  1. This sounds great- I must try it! And you know, when I have all the ingredients for a new recipe on hand, I take it as a sign from The Almighty that I'm supposed to make the recipe. It's that simple.

    And the moderation thing is key- and is also very hard to do with some beloved recipes. Pray for strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for the Link of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... Moderation, what's that??? Funny, I just posted a recipe for a dip. The holidays are gaining on us.

    I LOVE the presentation of the dip in the peppers. I am known for using peppers around here, so I will be stealing that idea...

    Thanks, great post ... run a lap for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you ate too much of this stuff but I've already printed the recipe to try now!

    Ginger this is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea putting your magic mayo into the peppers!

    I've never tried freezing cookies. Do they taste the same after thawing? Is the texture the same and all that jazz? This would definitely be such a time saver later!

    Oh yeah and I've seen recipes using the condensed milk on waffles. This would be a nice way to use your leftovers. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an absolute hoot. I was browsing through one of my little antique cookbooks and saw this exact recipe. I meant to put it together, out of curiosity, but you've already done it. So glad you liked it because I thought it sounded interesting and like a winner, too. Bet this would be terrific with that old fashioned salad, Perfection Salad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magic Mayonnaise sounds good to me! I like the idea of using hollowed out bell peppers to serve the dip. Excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha Ha You crack me up...I had to read it twice before I understood who won what...

    Bell peppers do make great bowls, and I like dips, so I am sure I would be the winner with this mayo...now where are the holiday cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa...that is crazy! It kinda scares me, but I totally want to try it! :D LOL...hope you had a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like one fantastic mayo and I love the title. To overindulge is OK, IMVHO, also, we can do that quite often, provided we use the running shoes as you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are hysterical and I've missed you! I am so glad you're back. The mayo sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did the same thing with macarons! The mayo sounds like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magic mayonnaise huh, never heard of it! Bummer about that rain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing mayo! I love it in the peppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh what a nice post and i love the conclusion at the end love your blog as well must follow along lol Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magic mayonnaise?! Well I never! Maybe it isn't as calorific as you think! Maybe that's why it's magic? Will have to give it a try! The dip looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete