Monday, April 6, 2009

Chinese Tea Eggs and the Easter Buffet





When I came upon http://www.sugarlens.com/2009/04/chinese-tea-eggs.html I immediately remembered my two trips to China. My sister's husband worked for Proctor and Gamble and took an international assignment to Guangzhou, China. I had the opportunity to visit my sister twice. I have to tell you that I absolutely hate to fly! Can you imagine? The trip to Guangzhou was approximately twenty four hours! Anyway, as much as my sister is adventurous, I am cautious. As much as she dives right in, I prefer to be in the know before I go. Nothing could prepare me for China. It was an unbelievable adventure. The people, the sites, the culture and the food.



Once I landed and got over the fact that I just spent over twenty four hours with white clenched knuckles just waiting for the airplane to drop out of the sky, I decided to be open minded to being in China. I am so happy I did that. Authentic Chinese food will heighten every sense that you have. The sight and the smell so very different than I was use to, but surprisingly enough different in a good way. As far as food goes, I am very adventurous. There is nothing that I will not at least try once. There were "some" food items in China I politely passed on, but I tried a variety of foods that were absolutely amazing.


That brings me to the Chinese Tea Eggs. One afternoon there was a knock on my sister's apartment door. There stood the sweetest older Chinese woman. There was no language barrier. What I mean by that is, that her sweet genuine smile spoke volumes to me. She handed my sister a small basket Chinese Tea Eggs and my sister handed her a small stack of Chinese money. These things were incredible and I ate several a day until I boarded a flight back to Cincinnati. I had all but forgot about those eggs until I came across http://www.sugarlens.com/2009/04/chinese-tea-eggs.html Sugarlens's eggs look authenic and really pretty!!



I called my sister and asked if she knew how to make those eggs. I went to her house (she has been back in the States now for several years) and away we went. We made several batches until we decided what we liked best. So, here are our Chinese Tea Eggs



Gin and Suz's Chinese Tea Eggs



8 hard boiled eggs

1/2 cup teriyaki Sauce

2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons raw sugar

4 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 large black tea bags

water to cover the eggs completely



(1) Boil the eggs 8 to 10 minutes, cool. (2) Take the back of a spoon and crack the eggs but leave shell in tack. (3) Combine all ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Add eggs and water to cover eggs completely. (4) Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and let eggs sit in liquid for several hours. (5) Refrigerate and serve cold.



The part that my sister and myself could not do is let the eggs sit in the liquid. We started eating them right away. They are so unique in taste that you really just have to try them. What do you have to lose but a eight eggs? If you really want the "WOW" factor then try serving these for Easter Dinner. It will be an unique treat for your guests!!



I am heading to Tampa tomorrow to visit my son. He is a sophomore at the University of South Florida. I am taking my computer and my camera in hopes of blogging. Tampa has some of the best restaurants in Florida. I will have to see how it goes. My son has been struggling with mono since Thanksgiving. He is improving day by day, but still has some lingering effects of the virus. I will have to take my cue from him. Happy Easter from my family, to you, and your family.


25 comments:

  1. Wow I am going to have to venture into these uncharted waters one day...I saw the other post, and another one as well...Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are so gorgeous!! and look at your BEAUTIFUL family!! you all look so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on long flights. I love to travel, but I wish I can skip the whole getting there part. I have only visited China (Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai) once, but would love to visit again to the more rural areas.

    Have fun in Tampa! And great looking eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tea eggs are so completely unique. They make a stunning presentation too. I can't wait to try these.

    You ahve a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tea eggs but have never made them. Not really sure why because it looks pretty easy - as soon as Easter is done they are on the menu! Have fun in Tampa - I love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had tea eggs but they look beautiful. Have fun in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so unique and are truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, sorry I 've been missing you Gin....they're having some tech issues apparently with Blogspot and that's prevented me from commenting on your past few posts. Don't think for a minute that I don't love you anymore. I will just use Safari until they get Firefox fixed!

    These eggs sound so yummy! What a different way to jazz up hum-ho hard boiled eggs! Take Care and hope you have fun down in Tampa....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just out of curiosity, are the eggs really ok after they've been cooked for such a long time? I'm not a hard boiled egg kind of person, so you'll have to excuse me for asking :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Eva-Stina

    Believe it or not these eggs are perfect cooked that long. Through my research I have found people that cook them even longer!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I've never heard of Chinese tea eggs. Judging from the ingredient list, though, they sound fabulous! I can't wait to be "adventurous" and to try this recipe out. Sounds like they brought back some wonderful memories, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool I love the marbling effect, but I wonder what it tastes like, or does it just taste like normal boiled eggs, the marbling is just visual effect. cheers!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the eggs can't wait to try I have everything ready I will let you know how it goes. Everyone I know that has a son or daughter away at school has had mono this year. Mom can make it better have a safe and fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had tea eggs, but love all the flavors in them. I will definately be giving them a try.

    Have a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe is also new to me, it sounds so unique and I like how the eggs look dyed-so cute and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I miss this post? I have never had these.. I want to thank you for all your kind words to me .. they make my day.. come enter my giveaway if u can! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yours turned out so pretty! I really need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so fascinating. I think I'd heard of them before, but not seen them since. I will definitely have to try them! Look at you & your fam...gorgeous!!!!!! Happy Easter to you & safe travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your eggs for a holiday decoration. Unfortunately, the holiday has passed so the eggs will have to wait for next year. I had tea eggs in China and I was not crazy about them, but I never thought to use them as a decoration. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen Chinese tea eggs in cookbooks but never had the courage to make my own. How wonderful that you've gone to China.
    You've got a beautiful family. I'm looking forward to your visit to Tampa. We lived in St. Pete for a while. For some strange reason several of the restaurants where we live now in the mountains have Cuban sandwiches. The best Cuban sandwich we've ever had was at a drive thru hole-in-the-wall restaurant near the St. Pete airport. Love Cuban sandwiches.
    Great blog. I'll be back for more.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never eaten Chinese tea eggs-they look good.
    Have fun in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your family is GORGEOUS! and those chinese tea eggs look so good! my mom makes them sometimes and it's such a "comfort" food for some family members! :) may i add you to my blogroll? i'd love to be updated on all of your future recipes/posts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Ginger, You have a lovely looking family!
    These eggs look and sound, ok GREAT! I will try them soon! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1/2 what teriyaki sauce? Cup? Tablespoon?
    Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so curious with this chinese tea eggs,i wanna taste it. :)

    vee

    ReplyDelete