Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Blueberry Lemon Cupcake to Say Hello and Goodbye. . .



Cupcakes are making me happy!

It has been a good week and a sad week. A good week because my kitchen remodel is coming along. Mr. Crabby Head has been smiling and I am good with that. I let Mr. Crabby Head have the final say on the tile back splash and he was empowered by that responsibility. He did an excellent job!! AND it is finally warm in Cincinnati, Ohio. It has been a sad week because of Max.

Max was over 25 years old. I have been feeding and caring for Max longer than I have for Mr. Crabby Head and my two sons. Max had made four moves with me. He had a strong vocabulary. "Baby Birdie, What are you doing, and hello!" He could sing beautiful melodies, and he did every single morning for the last 25 years! Max was my Cockatiel.

So, in honor of Max, the warm weather, and Mr. Crabby Head actually not being that crabby:

Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes

2 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 oil
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon extract
the juice and grated peel of one lemon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 21-ounce can of blueberry pie filling
1 can of lemon frosting
blue colored sugar

(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (2) In a large mixing bowl combine the first nine ingredients. (3) Gently fold in blueberry pie filling. (4) Fill cupcakes 1/2 full and bake 15 to 20 minutes. (5) Decorate with frosting and colored sugar. (6) ENJOY!!

Max made me realize that things are changing for me, and honestly I am OK with that. My oldest son is in college, doing good, and happy. What more could a Mother ask for? I can't believe it, but I starting all the college stuff with my youngest son. He (Lucas, 17 years old) still has the ability to render me speechless and send me into a "fit," but I have the experience to know that we will get through these "wonderful" teenage years.

So, where does all this leave me? Well, looking ahead to my future. I know one day that my husband (aka Honey and Mr. Crabby Head) and I want to live in the mountains near a lake. I know that being out of the "workforce" for over 20 years, I would like to work. "What would you like to do, Gin?" I am hoping to open a small cafe, and use my skills to open a catering business. The wonderful thing is that I am open to anything! The other wonderful thing is that I feel happy!

20 comments:

  1. First ofcan I get that in Suga free? Yumm.... I am sorry about Max. Bummer momma~
    there is life after teenage boys no WAY! Shut up.. Really? I am five miles from the GREATEST lake In Ak.. Your dream I am down with! Peace ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, never short sell happiness and always keep your options open. I'm sorry to hear about Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Gin, I am so sorry to hear about Max....I didn't know you had a birdie in the house. Of course I am sure everyone will be asking you if you will get another bird....when one of my kitties died a few years ago....that is what I heard over and over. Just take the time you need to heal.
    If you do the catering thing....be prepared to give up weekends, evening or holidays....when I heard that from a caterer....that is when I decided that maybe I would do a Bed and Breakfast instead....they come to ME and I would only have to prepare breakfast, brunch or lunch. Try that while you live near a lake! K-man and I will be your first BB guests! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sort of have a Mr. Crabby Head at my house too! Sorry about Max! I was going to suggest a B&B by the lake for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww...love you!!! I'm sorry to hear about Max :( You are awesome and i will drive to Ohio to visit your cafe and be "catered" to....he he he ha :) Smile lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - sorry to hear about Max. Stay strong! Your cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about Max - we have a cockatiel too and I teared up a bit.

    The muffins look wonderful and I love all the sprinkles on top! Sprinkles always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry sorry to hear about Max. I am glad your remodel is coming along and Mr. Crabbyhead is happy.

    Your cupcakes look amazing. I'd love ot have one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would love to visit your cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! My sous chef loves blueberries and lemons are always a favorite around here.

    I am sorry to hear about Max.

    Best,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorryabout max.. hugs to you. These cupcakes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about Max. It is so hard losing a pet; they're truly members of the family. Hopefully these cupcakes cheered you up a bit. They certainly look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much going is going on for you. I am really sorry about Max, that is heartbreaking. Even 25 years isn't long enough with the pets we love.

    Cupcakes are comfort food, plus they are so fun to look at. I think it's a great escape!

    When your son goes to college I hope you do open a little place of your own. Then I can come visit and take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about your birdy!

    The thoughts you have for your future sounds so great! I can picture a warm and inviting little mountain cafe... or maybe a B&B, that would be so cool too!

    Thanks for your comments over my way today. I have eaten dill pickle in my tuna salad since I was a kid. I think that must be the way my dad liked it.

    Yummy cupcake recipe too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about Max.
    If you dish out the recipes on your blog at your cafe-it'll definitely be a success.
    Count me in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am so sorry about max. these look like wonderful cupcakes to remember him by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry about max. I absolutely love the cupcake. The burst of color totally does it for me. It looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ginger, these cupcakes are so pretty and look scrumptious. I am so sorry to hear about your Maz. I'm sure he was very special. I had 2 cockatiels and had to give them up when my son was born It broke my heart. They were spoiled rotten and just could not get used to having a baby in the house. Here's to Mr. C's good mood sticking around: I'm sure lemon blueberry cupcakes will help! Thanks for following DomesticMuse! :) K

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love that flavor combination. It is so bright and spunky. It really screams spring! I am really sorry about max. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First time here. Love your blog. Sorry about Max. My 17 yr old son is also leaving for University in the Fall. That's not easy. My daughter left 2 yrs ago. I'm glad I have a 3rd son still at home.

    ReplyDelete