Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Charming Candied Cupcake for Mr. Crabby Head



The ability to think ahead makes for a very happy marriage. For once, I had the time and the foresight (and twenty-four years of marriage) to know it was time for me to put a plan in action. There is not a home improvement project on the face of the earth that will not eventually push my husband (honey) over the crabby line.


We are in the process of redoing our kitchen. Our house is twelve years old and ready for some TLC updates. Let me just say that there are crooks and crannies that otherwise would be impossible to get at unless you pulled every cabinet out (which we did.) Hmmmm.... well gross, but it was nothing a little elbow grease and a great shop vac could not handle!!





We are getting new kitchen counters. We had a white tiled back splash that we also wanted to replace. Honey tried to take the tiles off one by one but ending up getting a hammer and taking the entire wall out! He spent the all day hanging new wall board. Let me just say that a few choice words could probably be heard through the entire neighborhood!


Don't let this face fool you.............






He turned pretty crabby and tired after seven hours of solid work. There are several ways to honey's heart, food being close at the top of the list. He isn't a big "sweets" eater but likes to occasionally treat himself. That is where the Candied Cupcakes come in to play for the day.

Charming Candied Cupcakes

1 package white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 water
1 large bar of white chocolate, shaved
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 can Carmel icing
chocolate sprinkles
white chocolate melting chips
chocolate melting chips


(1) Add cake mix, sour cream, eggs, egg yolk, walnut oil, water, and white shaved chocolate. Mix well and put in to cupcake liners. Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. (2) Cool and ice with icing. (3) Generously sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. (4) Melt white chocolate chips and chocolate chips in separate sandwich bags. Snip the corner of the bags and drizzle chocolates over the cupcakes. ENJOY!!

These cupcakes are simple, rich and just plain scrumptious. They look stunning and taste the same. The walnut oil and shaved white chocolate definitely adds an unique twist the the batter and finished cupcake. Best of all, they are a crabby antidote. Come on!! Who could be crabby eating one of these things? Mr. Crabby tried, but the candied cupcake was just what he needed to put a smile back on his face!! Wish me luck for the week. I am all out of tricks because I have no oven, or dishwasher, or water in my kitchen at the moment.

25 comments:

  1. i am going to bookmark this, so that one day, if i'm married and my husband is starting to get crabby, i'll whip up a batch of these and leave them alone with him. hopefully that'll be the cure! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way - i was a little confused when you said that you'd had over 20 years of marriage experience. you look like you're in you're 20's. seriously. i thought you were joking!
    "ha.. what.. she's been married since she was 5? hahaha!... *after reading profile* oh wait..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. *has hand out for a cupcake* DROOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i am glad that mr. crabby pants got a cupcake! it looks yummy :) and your kitchen renovation looks like it is going well :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those would turn this crab cake into a sweetie too! I forgot and you just reminded me I have walnut oil I bought at Wegmans!

    My hubby goes for cheese cake, or really just happy to be fed, since he cannot boil water :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. um, yes! the walnut oil and white chocolate shavings send this into nirvana! These look excellent and I'm pretty sure my honey would go ga-ga as well...good, there are still some things that need doing around the new house! I wish I had one tonight, just to butter him up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMM.. walnut oil in the cupcake. delicious.. What a sweet wife you are making this for him.. Bet he loved them and you for baking it! They look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure these cupcakes turned your honey's frown upside down! What a good guy--doing all that work. So glad you were able to reward him with some fabulous cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is looking good in your kitchen. My husband gets crabby when he's doing home repairs too. I try to find somewhere else to go so I don't have to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't see how these cupcakes couldn't put a smile on someone's face! I'm loving that you used walnut oil, too, that's so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am dying to update my kitchen! It looks like a lot of work though!

    The cupcakes look delicious!

    Thanks for hopping over to my blog. Yes, the olives really add flavor! We are olive fanatics at our house so I use them a lot!

    Glad to hear your weather is warming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! What is it with husbands and household labor? Mine is the same way, crabby with a dictionary of choice words! Your kitchen will be gorgeous so it will be worth it. These cupcakes would make anyone feel better, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be crabby after 7 hours too, but those cupcakes would definitely make it all worthwhile - they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post makes me smile BIG! Your gorgeous cupcakes would go a looong ways in soothing the beasties in anyone!

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. It is so nice to meet you and to welcome you to my tiny dot in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the cupcakes look wonderful -- good luck with the house project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The kitchen project will be worth it. We are still wading through multiple projects with many expletives deleted! The cupcakes look yummy. Glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now these are my type of cupcakes.
    I can hardly wait to get a kitchen remake! I would love it. Good luck with the adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cupcakes made ME smile!

    How exciting to get a kitchen renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. just one of this will put a smile to my face too, no matter how tired and crabby I am!
    wow...kitchen makeover! awesome! to me, the kitchen is the most important place in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have remolded two homes in four years and are looking for number three. I know what crabby means. Love the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well these cupcakes would sure take the crabby out of me .. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That candy cupcake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm pretty sure this cupcake would put a smile on anyone's face. Thks for stopping by my blog! And when can we see the end result of the kitchen makeover??

    ReplyDelete
  24. No wonder you have beautiful cupcakes , with a newly fitted kitchen ...lol...just kidding well done they are delicious. :) xx Rico-Recipes

    ReplyDelete