Saturday, June 20, 2009

And the secret ingredient is. . . . GREENS!




Before you say gross, let me explain.



Girlichef is hosting the BSI (Blogger Secret Ingredient) and I just couldn't resist participating in this. First, Dar is the absolute best and if you don't believe just grab my badge! That is right! You can grab my badge because Dar created it for me. THANKS A MILLION TIMES OVER FOR THAT DAR. Second, I love greens.

I also love all kinds of pesto. As a matter of fact, I am kind of a pesto expert. I always have frozen homemade pesto cubes in my freezer. I am always making new pesto recipes. Pesto is what I order, if it is on the menu, when we go out to eat. Which brings me to my Mustard Greens Pesto recipe.

A couple of months ago we were in Tampa, Florida at a local seafood restaurant where I ordered fresh fish with pesto and pasta. It was delicious. The pesto had such an unique taste that I asked to speak to the Chef.

"Chef, may I inquire about this delicious pesto," I asked?

"Yes you may. It is Mustard Greens Pesto but I can not give away my recipe. It is my signature item."

When I got home, I went to work on my own mustard greens pesto recipe.

Gin's Mustard Greens Fresh Pesto

3/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup almonds

2 garlic cloves, roasted

3 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons honey

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

3 cups coarsely chopped mustard greens

salt and pepper to taste



(1) Blend 1/2 cup olive oil, almonds, and garlic in a processor until finely chopped. (2) Add vinegar, Parmesan cheese and thoroughly blend. Add mustard greens with remaining oil. Season with honey,cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. (3) ENJOY!

There you have, my entry into this week's BSI. Let me tell you what I like about this pesto. First of all, it really has a kick in the flavor department. It is relatively cheap to make. It is off the chart in the versatility of uses.

I hope that everybody is have a great summer and a wonderful weekend.

22 comments:

  1. Terrific recipe for BSI. I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Gin, this sounds soooooo yummy! Thanks for entering into this week's BSI!!! Hope your weekend is a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gin, this looks like a fabulous pesto. The cayenne will give it a real kick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks like a great pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gin, you are the creative one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great entry i love pesto too and don't make it enough you have inspired me Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mustard greens pesto is so unique and creative, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm great looking pest! Nice creation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginger this is the coolest recipe!! Mustard green pesto?? I have to try it!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Ginger! I love pesto too and find any excuse I can to make it. I plan on planting have my herb garden with basil next summer fore pesto (and the other half with mint for mojitos).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always looking for new pesto recipes...thanks.

    Dropping by from SITS to say HI!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a creative genius! I love how unique this is and it looks like it has real body to it and it's full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really creative! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I love pesto too, and this is very nice on that crunchy crostini! I wish I could get my friends here in Texas to add another variety of greens to their diets, and this would work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic pesto so delicious e "green", really looks great and especially on the top of that snack, cheesy toastie, cheers :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm..i just tried the store pesto for the first time last weekend. not bad...now I just need to try yours! Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Popping in to say hi from SITS. How I love food blogs! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does not look gross...actually looks yummie...love green.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you miss me? I missed being able to read all the fun stuff being cooked this week. But after sitting in the sand and a few creative cocktails...I got over it....LOL.
    Very interesting Gin. Does mustard greens have a distinct taste like basil does? Or is the flavor of this pesto more a combo of everything you put in it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks really yummy. I'm going to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete