Monday, March 2, 2009

Tempting Tasty Banana Cake Worth Freezing For....



There is something so crowd pleasing about Banana Cake. It is moist, dense and remarkably satisfying with a cold glass a milk, or a piping hot cup of coffee. It is definitely a "comfort" cake loved by adults and kids. This cake is a perfect way to use up those bananas that have seen better days. It is still freezing here!!

What did I do this weekend? I hung out with my honey (husband). We looked at new boats, and then went to happy hour at a local bar. We went to the book store, and spent time with my family. Yesterday, I made a huge banana sheet cake and sent my son out to deliver the goodies to my friends and neighbors.


There is definitely a few tricks to making a banana cake that is a prize winner, and I am getting ready to share those tips with YOU! Before you read any further, if you don't have any banana extract head out to the store this very minute.

Best Ever Banana Cake

1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
3 bananas slice thin
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons banana extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon banana extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar


(1)Preheat oven to 275° and grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. (2) In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice and banana extract; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in banana mixture. (3) Pour batter into prepared pan. Gently place the sliced bananas on top of the batter. (4) Bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (5) Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. (6) Remove from freezer and bring back to room temperature. (7) For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in vanilla and banana extract. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth. Spread on cooled cake. ENJOY!!

A fellow foodie friend of mine bakes, bakes and bakes! She gave me the tip to add banana extract to my cake recipe. I have to tell you that it really pumps up the banana flavor. She also gave me the tip to place my cake in the freezer. The theory behind this technique is that it makes the cake super moist. Well, it really does work! I have since seen this technique stated in several recipes that I have come across. I have to say that it is is worth finding space in your freezer. It gives the banana cake the perfect moist texture.

Here are a few things that I am working on: picnic and boating recipes, MORE cake mix cookies with Jenny and recipes for the new smoker that I received. Here is what I am hoping for: WARM WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. oh! banana extract! i've never heard of that before. sounds delicious - and this cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tips. I'm not sure I've seen banana extract. Guess I'll need to keep an eye out for it.

    I haven't had banana cake in a while and I have bananas on the counter. I'll have to print this out for just in case. :-)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. My banana-loving friend would go nuts for this! I may have to make it for him! If I can find room in my freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
    I will write again on his blog about this subject when completed
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete