Monday, March 9, 2009

The Most Lemony Cookie Of All Time




Before I start, a word about my obsession with cake mix cookies, it was love at first bite. They are cheap, delicious in "almost" any flavor, and if baked right they are chewy-crisp with a gooey middle.

Nothing brings out the flavor of lemons like sugar: lemon cake, lemon bars, lemon bread and the most lemony of all cookies. These cookies have a secret ingredient that will surprise even the most experienced baker. These cookies are becoming wildly popular in the local school bake sale circuit, with people offering up their very own delicious flavor combinations. We even have young bakers getting in on the cake mix cookie action. I think I started a trend!! To bad for me, that I actually never start a trend that could earn me a little cash of my own. You never know, maybe one day?

The Most Lemony Cookie of all Time

1 box lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon extract
1 7 oz box of Lemonheads®
zest from one lemon
1 box powdered sugar
Preheated oven, 345 degrees

(1) Ground Lemonheads® in food processor into a fine powder. (2) Add all ingredients and blend well. (3) Use melon ball scooper to measure small dough balls and roll in powdered sugar. (4) Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. It is very important not to bake these cookie for more than 10 minutes. Ten minutes give these cookies the perfect texture inside and out. (5) ENJOY!

In my opinion, these cookies are terrific. If you decide to bake them yourself, please let me know what you think. They resemble a lemon bar. I really think they would make a good picnic, boating or camping dessert. They are definitely better if you let them sit for a day. If you over cook them, you will end up with a cookie that is hard and quite frankly unappealing.

The very notion of cake mix cookies would have been unthinkable to me a short time ago. I could not imagine a cookie from a cake mix? I like that they are versatile and easy to make. I am now in the habit of picking up cake mixes from the store when they are on sale. Our neighborhood has a lot of impromptu parties and happy hours. I can easily put a batch together for all the fun! Get baking your very own cake mix cookie flavor, and let me know about it

11 comments:

  1. Cool one Gin! Very funny, I have a lemon box left and was planning a lemon cookie next. Fortunately you didn't nab my idea....LOL This sounds really yummy. Did you consider using something like Lemonade drink mix instead of the Lemonheads?
    This is so fun...thanks for being my Cookie Mix partner in crime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound (and look) amazing! I think I might have to try these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm. those do sound super lemony! i love the flavor of lemon in desserts so much! they sound totally perfect for a bake sale - i'd buy a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fabulous! Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm...these look awesome! I love lemony cookies AND cake mix cookies...way to pump these up! I will definitely be trying them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, what size is the powdered sugar box?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevermind..I should have read directions...ha ha ha! Sorry to take p so much space :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ADORE all your simple but fabulous recipes...would love to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that these have Lemonheads in them - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Gin...I made these!! They are so yummy...I had problems with sticking cuz I'm desperately in need of a silpat. Kids & hubby loved them, too.... I linked back to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had fun exploring your blog today. My son who loves Lemonheads would love these cookies.

    ReplyDelete