Monday, February 2, 2009

The Story of Candied Carrots and the Birthday Girl




"Gin, what are you doing for your birthday?" said my sister.

"I am making candied carrots!" I replied happily.

"Why in the heck would you make candied carrots? Who in their right mind would eat those things?" said my sister.

"The people that want to expand their palettes. The people that aren't afraid to try new things. Oh yeah, and the people who love carrot cake!" I told her.



Candied Carrots


4 cups finely grated carrots

2 cups cold water

4 cups sugar

Rainbow Sparkling Sugar


(1) Bring 2 cups water and 4 cups sugar to a gentle boil. (2) Add carrots and simmer for approximately one hour. (3) Drain carrots and put on pan lined with non-stick foil. (4) Sprinke with Rainbow Sparkling Sugar. Let dry for 2 hours. (5) Store in refrigerator for up to three days.

I want to encourage you to give candied carrots a try, I mean why not? Be bold! Candied carrots are sweet with a crunch. They are an extraordinary topping to a spicy spinach salad. They can be used as toppings for many flavored muffins. How about a sweet potato muffin with crunchy carrot topping, drizzled with a vanilla glaze? Need I say more? Well actually I do because there is an obvious use for candied carrots, carrot cake! Let me just tell you, the way that candied carrots interact with carrot cake surpasses the word delicious. They will take your carrot cake recipe up a notch that seriously could win the "Bake Off." I am not looking for a cut when that happens, so don't worry about that.


Valentine Day is on it's way. How about making your honey pie a carrot cake with candied carrots? You will feel the love, I guarantee it. Oh yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!








11 comments:

  1. Candied carrots, OMG this will satisfy anybody sweet craving.
    Cheers,
    Elra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously I always candy my carrots but never in this shape! I love it. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice idea with the carrots. My husband and I have for some time cooked carrots with maple syrup, but I never dreamed that you could make something so appealing as your recipe.

    I can't wait to give it a try.

    I invite you to visit my husband's site at garyross.ca.

    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! those sound delicious! i would NEVER have thought of them! i am emailing them to a friend right now so we can put them on our to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FIY: National carrot day is tomorrow. So eat tons and tons of candied carrots. Let these orange wonders rain and delight our palettes. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice Idea, though with the kind of carrots we get out here (Himalaya mts. around 7-8000 feet alt.)which are sweet like a fruit, moist and redish-purple, I think I'll have to cook them less time. Will give it a try. Here, carrot fudge is the most popular sweet in carrot season. Grate 'em and simmer in water buffalo milk with a bit of sugar and some green cardamon in a wok till it reduces to a fudge like consistency. Serve warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating idea! Never would have thought of it, but I love carrots and will put this on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the sound of candied carrots and they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, it has real child appeal and sweet is the only way to go with carrots - you suggest using them when making carrot cake do you mean in the cake or on it like with the cup cakes? - sorry to be so dense!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have just solved a mystery I have been looking for the answer to the last 2 years! I was in London at a cafe and had carrot cake with a sweet finely grated topping-NO cream cheese in sight! It was unbelievably delicious-probably would win in a Bake Off contest! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete