Thursday, December 25, 2008

Wrapping Up Christmas Day One Peppermint at a Time




I am always happy on Christmas night when everybody is happy with gifts and a full belly. I am tired because I spent the entire day in the kitchen, but it is a happy tired. I have already promised myself to come up with a menu next Christmas that I can prepare and freeze! I am already looking forward to the New Year and the possibilities that it could bring me.

Our Christmas is different now because I have sixteen and twenty year old sons. So you see, there are no early morning runs to check under the tree. Everybody sleeps in. My husband and two sons started the day at 11:00 am with a brunch of Swedish pancakes, a scrumptious plate of sausage and bacon, fresh squeezed orange juice and fresh cut fruit. We made our way to leisurely open presents by a roaring fire. What fun! There were snacks all day followed by a hearty helping of fish and steak tacos (probably not your usual Christmas fare, but it was a request of my two sons.)

To say that I am cookied-out would be an immense understatement. I am not a big cookie gal, but have eaten my fair share this holiday season. I actually don’t think I can eat another cookie for quite some time. I have not had much peppermint this holiday season and I didn’t want it to end without at least savoring a peppermint dish of some sort. Out came my ice cream maker.

This recipe is quite tasty and imparts a nice creamy minty flavor. Topped with homemade chocolate sauce, it is a perfect way to say goodbye to Christmas 2008.

Peppermint Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
8 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons peppermint extract
1/2 cup (or more) crushed candy canes or hard peppermint candy

Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden or heatproof rubber spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula, about 5-10 minutes. Add peppermint extract. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Once ice cream mixture is chilled; freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Once the ice cream begins to harden add in the crushed peppermint candy. Put in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours. Serve with homemade chocolate sauce and additional crushed peppermint.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

Homemade Decadent Chocolate Sauce

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
½ cup milk chocolate chips
3 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon coffee extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon vanilla

Add to sauce pan and melt over low heat until well blended. Store in fridge.


I hope that your holidays were blessed with family, friends, happiness and tons of fun!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think tacos sound like a great dinner! The ice cream and sauce sound delicious! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that decadent chocolate sauce sounds pretty killer. and with peppermint ice cream? mmmm.

    ReplyDelete